By Lieutenant(Navy) Brenna Roux, National Cadets and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group –
This past weekend, on 9 June, 2019 the National Capital Region (NCR) Triathlon Team the “Stingers” participated in the Ironman Eagleman 70.3 triathlon race in Cambridge, Maryland.
This event included a 1.9km swim, 90km bike and 21.1km run. Unfortunately, with the incredibly strong winds on race day, the swim portion was cancelled for safety reasons as the safety boats were unable to launch in the water. The team was very disappointed considering how warm the water was – one athlete was so disappointed, she tried swimming in the grass but was not very successful in changing the race director’s mind. Since the swim was cancelled, the athletes started the race by bib number and age group, and lined up behind their bikes in the transition zone. This resulted in pretty crowded conditions on course. About 30 minutes into the race, a torrential downpour began, and lasted for quite some time. The rain was blinding at times and my contact lenses washed out of my eyes. Some extremely strong winds added some extra challenge in the last 30km of the course. The rain had tapered off by the time the run started.
Leading the way and finishing 2nd in his age group was Chief Warrant Officer Marco Côté, an absolute machine! As well, racing despite a sprained ankle Master Warrant Officer Hugo Asselin raised over $800 for Soldier On – Sans Limites.
Many other CAF athletes finished strong in their respective age group categories. In order of appearance on the group photo:
- Major Julie Maille (43/172 – F40-44)
- Chief Warrant Officer Marco Côté (2/293 – M45-49)
- Colonel John Giguère (10/267 – M50-54)
- Master Corporal Catherine Desmarais (10/127 – F35-39)
- Chief Warrant Officer (retired) Geoff Williams (6/80 – M60-64)
- Master Warrant Officer Hugo Asselin (144/266 – M40-44)
- Lieutenant (Navy) Brenna Roux (82/172 – F40-45)
- Major (retired) Lise Grondin (73/183 – F45-49)
- Robyn Dicesare (Civilian) (17/80 – F55-59)
- Major Eric Martinat (30/150 – M55-59)
- Major Mylène Leclerc (84/183 – F45-49)
- Major Stéphan Tremblay (57/267 – M50-54)
- Lieutenant Colonel Wendy Tokach (US Army) (99/172 – F40-44)
If you are interested in trying triathlon, or are already a triathlete, contact the Stingers team manager Lt(N) Brenna Roux. Athletes of all calibres are welcome!
Photo credit: Chantal Borg
This post is also available in: Français (French)